Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Hello from Adelaide

Today's my last day in Adelaide. I've been working on the floor plans for the new workshop. It's coming together well. I'm getting good support here I'm working with someone who's on the same wave length as me. I also got to see the some of the fabricated skids at our fabrication contractor's workshop. They're an experienced bunch, so it's always good to see what quality looks like. I was also preparing the management of change forms yesterday. It was basically a long check list of safety concerns. So, that's basically what I was up to at work. The rest of this blog is the more interesting events.


I'll start with what Adelaide is best known for. Adelaide's known as the "City of Churches". I thought I better capture at least one photo of a church, so I walked out of the hotel after breakfast yesterday morning, went down the road and took some snaps of the local church. Here's one photo below:


Churches just don't fit in a city's landscape. Buildings around the churches get more modern while the church falls behind.

Although churches is the well known standout, there's one other difference in Adelaide it has to Melbourne at least, if not to the other major cities. In Adelaide, there's a lot of night construction. That's how Adelaide operates. It's such a dense city that any road construction at day time would be very disruptive. I saw a few construction workers working on the road, operating scissor lifts, making scaffolds, and even working in the rain.

It's different in Melbourne. There'll be a portable sign put up on the road a few days before the construction work to inform us not to use a particular road. I like Adelaide's way of thinking.

I got takeaway (combination seafood with rice) at Chinatown yesterday. Chinatown's pretty small in Adelaide. See the photo of Chinatown below:




I drove myself back to the hotel with the company car. Damn, that's an awful car. The brakes need repair. I pushed the brake pedal. The first 80% of travel does nothing. The brakes operate in the remaining 20% of travel, which makes the brakes really sensitive.

I had trouble working the hand brake. There's underground car parking at the hotel. The car park entrance roller door was down when I got there. I had to get out of the car to press a button to raise the roller door. When I got back into the back I couldn't work out how to disengage there handb reak. The roller door came down while I was fiddling with the hand break.

I didn't get to see Glenelg Beach or Rundle Mall, but I still had lots of fun. I'm coming back to Melbourne today. See ya next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment