Saturday, June 19, 2010

First 2 Days at Gladstone, QLD

I flew into Gladstone yesterday. I took so much stuff with me. Both my carry on and checked baggage exceeded the limits of 7 kg and 23 kg, respectively. My carry on baggage was about 15 kg and checked baggage was about 27 kg. I was lucky to be allowed to take them without being charged any fees. It penalty would have been about $120.

I'm staying at the Pines Apartment, which is a very good accommodation. It's fully furnished, with an LCD TV, dishwasher (whoopy), washer and dryer. Please see photos below:

Gladstone feels like Dandenong, but there's always something industrial in the scenery, like in this photo (i took this on my level 5 balcony), there's a power plant in the background, which just doesn't fit in this picture.



For all those of you coming to Gladstone in the future and don't already know, most stores close at 5:00 pm on Saturdays and do not open on Sundays. The only supermarket that was open yesterday evening was an IGA on Toolooa St. I was lucky to get in before it closed to get my food for the weekend and some stuff to make some sandwishes for Monday's lunch. I drove to the Orica Yarwun plant this morning so I wouldn't get lost Monday morning when I go to work.

On my way back from the plant, I went to marina. It's got some beautiful parks and bbq facilities. You can't see it in the photo below, but behind the trees are more industrial site, which basically describes Gladstone. Gladstone is a residential town bordered by some heavy industrial sites.


For Sunday's lunch, I cooked chicken. I frying it. It takes a long time to cook, and getting hot oil on my hand can be very painful. Despite that, it tasted great.

No comments:

Post a Comment