Sunday, May 30, 2010

Hello World

Most computer programming books start with the 'hello world' program, so I thought I'd call my first blog Hello World. It would make more sense if I had a career in computing or even a degree in IT, but I'm not associated with neither of those two things.

I'm a graduate mechanical engineer working in Melbourne, Australia for Orica, single, and living with my parents. In 3 weeks times, that's all gonna change. Not really, I'll still be working for the same company and I'll still be single, but I'll be moving out.

I guess this is the ideal time to start my blog, when I'm moving out and discovering life alone. I won't discuss the first 24 years of my life, but reflect on those times when the contrast becomes clearer.

About me moving out. It all started when our graduate coordinator sent every graduate an email about the opportunity of commissioning our new explosives plant in Bontang, Indonesia. I put my name down. 7 weeks ago, I got a call from the commissioning manager. I discussed with him what I wanted to get out of the position and how I could contribute. 2 week after, he called me and said I was on the team.

So now, I'm preparing myself for my re-location to Gladstone, QLD. What Gladstone, I hear you say? I first have to stay in Gladstone, QLD for around 3 months to get some training at our existing explosives plant and help prepare the documentation.

My job at Melbourne so far has been working for the company's water treatment business, called Watercare. My role here has mainly been drafting P&IDs, water treatment systems drawings, preparing equipment specifications, and process designs. I've been working in the office most of the time with my role. What I've lack is on-site work, but when I've been given the opportunity to work on site, I've enjoyed it because of the whole new wealth of knowledge I can tap into. Contractors can be a pain to work with sometimes, but definitely know a load of stuff, and sometimes more than the designers and people managing them on site.

So, I've decided to move into another role within the company, and get a taste of a new work environment and life away from my parents.

I told my dad first about deciding to switch roles before my mum, because my mum was in Shanghai, China to visit my grandparents. Dad heard explosives and moving out, and thought is was a bad idea. I think it's Asian thing. But when I explained it was commissioning, and how I really wanted to get commissioning experience to develop my career, he was all right with it. After all, dad made the same decision 15 years ago when he migrated from China to Australia. Dad's mum didn't like the idea, but moving to Australia was the right choice.

Dad then told mum about my changing roles. I was surprised mum was ok with it. She suspected I didn't really enjoyed my role at Watercare. She was right. I wasn't really learning anything new, or new things quickly enough about mechanical engineering. I'm the only mechanical engineer doing mechanical engineering at Watercare.

Enough about my previous job in 3 weeks time. Working in Bontang, Indonesia has some benefits. Work plan is 6 weeks on and 2 weeks off. I've never seen South East Asia before, or anywhere outside of China or Australia before. That 2 weeks off is a great opportunity to travel South East Asia. I'll be sharing most of my travel adventure with you, which is I think a good place to end my first blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment